"Riding Trains" in NMRA November 2010 Issue
Top of Page
- Sierra Railroad and Railtown 1897 — The Sierra is the third oldest railroad in North America and besides carrying freight and passengers, Sierra became famous as “The Movie Railroad” for making over 300 movies, commercials and television shows. Railtown 1897 State Historic Park is the home of the Sierra.
- Virginia & Truckee Railroad — Operates trains between Carson City and Virginia City on the restored historic 1872 right of way.
- Napa Valley Wine Train — Restored train running on 25 miles of track in the heart of the Napa Valley, is one of the most unique and delicious Napa restaurants.
- Western Railway Museum — Dedicated to the preservation of the regional heritage of electric railway transportation as a living resource for the benefit of present and future generations.
- Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola — The largest and most complete collection in North America dedicated to telling the story of one railroad, and home to the world famous "Rent-A-Locomotive" program.
- Sacramento River Train — The Sacramento River Train operates on the 16-mile “Woodland Branch” between Woodland and West Sacramento , CA.
- Sacramento Southern Railroad — Operated by the California State Railroad Museum, the SSR runs on the levees along the Sacramento River waterfront.
Model Railroading Sites
Top of Page
- National Model Railroad Association — Your portal to more fun in model railroading.
- National Association of S Gaugers — Supporting the 3/16" or 1:64 S scale model railroading community.
- Pacific Coast Region — Your Host Region.
- Layout Design Special Interest Group — Let the LDSIG get you on the right track!
- Operations Special Interest Group (OPSIG) — Focused on Realistic Prototype Operation.
- Railroad Prototype Modelers — RPM's mission is multi-faceted, with promoting the prototype modeling of all eras at the top of the list.
- Walthers, Inc. — Your Number One Resource for Model Railroad Product Information
- Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine — Free online e-zine.
- Proto48 Modeler — Supporting 1/4 inch Prototype Modeling at its Finest.
- Sacramento Valley Live Steamers — Preserving the lore and history of American steam railroading.
- Sacramento Model Railroad Historical Society — Home of the Sierra Central Railroad modeled in HO scale, standard and narrow gauge layouts.
- Sacramento Modular Railroaders — Home of the Sacramento Central Railroad (SCRR), a state-of-the-art modular HO scale model railroad.
- Folsom Valley Railway — In continuous operation since 1970, the only 12-inch gauge railroad remaining in the United States.
- NEW 5/02/13! Understanding Model Railroad Maintenance — This link was sent to me by Kayla Wilson of the The Children's Cancer Center of Newark, New Jersey, at the suggestion of Thomas, the student that presented it to her. They've been reviewing some resources on the internet for a project about trains and model trains and came across the X2011 "Links" page and found it extremely helpful to them and sent me this link for an addition to the page as a "Thank you!" Having lived in neighboring Hillside in my earlier years, how could I not do it. You're very welcome, Kayla, Thomas and all the other kids. Have a piece of cake for me! Dave Grenier, Webmaster
Top of Page
Top of Page
- U.S. Department of State — Before traveling to the United States, a citizen of a foreign country must generally obtain a non-immigrant visa for a temporary stay. Remember to apply early if you need a visa to enter the United States.
- Modesto & Empire Traction Company — a short-line railroad situated in a 2,000-acre industrial park known as the Beard Industrial District in Modesto, California. With a main line of only 5 miles long, they operate and maintain an additional 28 miles of track within the Beard Industrial District serving numerous customers.
- Sierra Railroad Company — The Sierra is the third oldest railroad in North America and besides carrying freight and passengers, Sierra became famous as “The Movie Railroad” for making over 300 movies, commercials and television shows.
Top of Page
- Bruce's Train Shop — CLOSED! (Updated 5/2/13) Home of Northern California's largest selection of model railroad supplies. 2752 Marconi Ave, Sacramento, CA 95821.
- Railroad Hobbies — Everything from Z to G scales. 119 Vernon St, Roseville, CA 95821.
- Just Trains — Over 3000 square feet of model trains and supplies. 5650 Imhoff Drive, Concord, CA 94520.
- Roger's Railroad Junction & Hobbies — We offer craftsman kits, general kits and a vast selection of detail items in HO, HOn3, On30, N and Z scale items. 105 South Sacramento St, Lodi, CA 95240, (209) 334-5623, e-Mail: email@example.com
- The Western Depot — Northern California's most complete source for your model railroad needs. 1650 Sierra Avenue, Suite 203, Yuba City, California 95993-8986, (530) 673-6776.
- The Train Shop — 100% trains, discount prices, super selection. 1829 Pruneridge Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050, (408) 296-1050
- Tom's Trackside Trains — CLOSED! (Updated 5/2/13) We're different! We actually helped! Owned by a model railroader. 558 Santa Cruz Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, (650) 692-9724.
This page last updated:
Historic Sutter Street, Folsom
Photo courtesy of Folsom Tourism Bureau